Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Monday, August 18, 2014

BOMs Away - the one around Family Time with Mike & Dawna & David



Welcome to the Link-Up for BOMs Away Mondays!
 
We'd love to see the BOM you're working on lately.bo
This week's link-up is at the bottom of the post.
 
Hey!  I am so sorry, you guys - Scott's brother, wife, and one of their sones have been here from out of state (who we haven't seen for years), so things have been busy and focused on them! The first part of today we all spent at Garden of the Gods, climbing around and enjoying the gorgeous scenery under a beautiful sky.  Then it started clouding up for an afternoon storm, so it was back here to the house for us all. (After a yummy stop at the smoothie shop!)
 
Marissa, David, & Heather
  
Scott & David
 




Me & Scott - goofy grins on the selfie feature of my phone  :)
 
Scott, Heather, Marissa, David, and Random Folks also enjoying the day
 
 
Other big news is that my Dragonfly Party quilts, quilted by Kay Bell and Judi Madsen (blogged about at this link) were in the "Quilt! Knit! Stitch!" special exhibit in Portland this weekend. Big thanks to Margaret Gunn for sending me a photo of them at the show!   I was so very disappointed that I couldn't find a way to get out there, but as it turned out, I'm glad I didn't miss our family visit.  :)
 
 
 
 
 
Now for BOM stuff. August is all "messed up" in regards to my normal BOM habits.  I stuck with the Heart & Home quilt instead of working on another one.  Since my last report I got all the stitching done on the applique work for the focal house blocks and half of the stitching done for the border applique blocks. I like a small blanket-stitch choice on my machine.
 
 
 
 
I also got the yo-yo's made and stitched on by hand for the one tree. Turned out cool!
 
 
 
 
When I do applique, I like to trim out the "guts" on the backside, which greatly increases the quilt's drapability - especially when you're working with fusibles. (Which is why I take the time to trim my fusible pieces to 1/4" outlines instead of solid shapes.)



 
~*~*~*~*~
 

Have you been able to work on your BOMs recently? Since I missed posting the host spot last week, feel free to link up any extra posts you'd made previously as well.  :D
 

6 comments:

  1. Your yo-yo tree just makes me smile :). I love the scenery at Garden of the Gods but the name makes me think of giant exotic, colorful flowers. There could be a quilt in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little tree is tooooo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to see you spending time with family. Everyone in the blogosphere seems to be slowing down, though perhaps instead of it being due to summer, it's due to the popularity of Instagram among quilters. I love IG, and am on it nearly all the time. It's also good to see you plugging away on your projects. And congratulations for having your quilts in the special exhibit. Those quilts have a special sentiment for you and I think it's wonderful that you shared that with others. Hope your school work is coming along okay too. I know you're still one very busy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never "gutted" my applique but I can see where it would reduce the bulk. I'll have to think on that. Do you do it block by block?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw your quilts at the Quilt! Knit! Stitch! show last week in Portland (I live there) and just read your post from last year about the creation of the quilts. An amazing story! I could have stood for hours in front of your quilts just looking at the beautiful blocks you made and the quilting that enhanced them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.